HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF ETI-OSA LOCAL GOVERNMENT
- Eti-Osa Local Government as it is today has its secretariat located at Km 15, Lekki- Epe Express way in Igbo- Efon Village, in the the eastern region of the senatorial district. Eti- Osa Local Government formally has it Headquarters at 24, Glover Road , Ikoyi before the creation of Local Government from Twenty(20) to Fifty-Seven (57) Local Governments under the then Governor of Lagos State, His Excellency, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, but because the creation was not constitutional, it was reversed back from Fifty-Seven (57) to Twenty(20) Local Governments and Thirty-Seven (37) Local Council Development Areas(L.C.D.A).So the secretariat was moved from 24, Glover Road, Ikoyi to Km 15, Lekki- Epe Expressway, in Igbo-Efon.
- before the creation, Eti-Osa Local Government maintains its Eastern boundary with Ibeju-Lekki Local Government and its Western boundary with Lagos Island Local Government where the then Eti-Osa Local Government was created from and was known then as Lagos City Council. It also has its North boundary with the Lagoon and its South with the Atlantic Ocean.
- Eti-Osa Local Government is one of the Commercial Centre in Lagos State, the Local Government has grown of age due to the various business organization that is established in that region of Lagos State and also in terms of “IGR” Internally Generated Revenue that could be recon with the Internally Generated Revenue of some Statein Nigeria.
- With the creation of Local Governments in Lagos State by the formal Executive, His Excellency, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, there was a rapid development in Lagos because, the rural ares were able to feel the impact of Grassroot Government due to the extension of Government establishment to the rural areas and the Urban areas also that has always been receiving the attentions are not left with the whole work load Eti-Osa Local Government with its Secretariat at Igbo-Efon also has its Local Council Development Areas at Ikoyi-Obalende, Iru-Victoria Island and Eti-Osa East Local Council Development Areas.
- Mnatle of Societal and Cultural values is always upheld by the Traditional Rulers or Royal father within the Local Government but with other Royal father with the Local Government but with other Royal fathers outside the Local Government when the need arises. Eti-Osa Local Government has respect for its tradition leaders due to their importance and fatherly advice that they render in commenting and consultations from time to time whenever the need arises.
- Eti-Osa Local Government with its Local Council Development Areas is densely populated with the past records recorded at the past general registration exercise for the general election that was held in the month of April, 2011 by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). Eti-Osa recorded over Three(3) Million with records from recognised hospital on the death and birth rate, the population is precisely Five (5) Million inhabitants in the Local Government and the Local Council Development Areas.
- The prominent Obas and the Traditional leaders within the Local Government are Five(5) Obas which are Oba ONIRU of Iru- Land, Oba ELEGUSHI of Ikate- Land, Oba OJOMU of Agiranland, Oba TOMORO of Abagbo- Land and Oba Onikoyi of Ikoyi and also Sixteen Traditional leaders in various communities in the Local Government.
- The life of Eti-Osa Local Government citizens is largely influenced by religious denominations, which are Islam, Christianity and the Traditional religions. The marriage, naming and burial Ceremonies are celebrated in line with the practise of their respective denominations. The mode of dressing is also diverse in either traditional style.
Address: Klm15, Lekki-Epe Express Way,
Lagos State, Nigeria.